I love this omelette’s savory flavor, plus its easy to make! The mustard that you use can be most any type of savory mustard from good old yellow mustard to Dijon or stone-ground mustard. The avocados give it a nice flavor. The Cojita gives it a definite Mexican flair, but you can use shredded cheddar as well.
• 3 Eggs, divided into 1 egg and 2 egg whites
• 1 tablespoon mustard
• Garlic Powder
• 1 ½ tablespoons of shredded cheese (I use Cojita, which is a Mexican cheese for this recipe)
• ¼ Avocado thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons Salsa
1. Whip two egg whites and one egg with the mustard until well combined, add garlic powder, pepper, salt and chives. Mix well to incorporate mustard into eggs.
2. Heat nonstick pan, spray with light coating of olive oil (I use a Misto sprayer). If you don’t have a sprayer, pour a teaspoon into a pan and spread it around with a paper towel.
3. Once the pan is hot, add the egg mixture and distribute around the pan to allow the egg to spread out. Let the egg cook until set. It should be easily separated from the pan using a spatula. Flip over and allow to cook on the other side.
4. Sprinkle cheese along one side of the omelette and add slices of avocado on top.
5. Flip half of omelette over on top of the cheese and avocado. Remove from heat.
6. Slide the omelette onto a plate
7. Take the still hot pan and put 2 tablespoons of the salsa in the pan to heat up. (I usually keep my salsa in the refrigerator, this allows it to heat up a bit. The pan should be hot enough to heat the salsa through.
8. Ladle the salsa over the omelette.
9. I serve this with a slice of low calorie toast, but the meal is so low in calories, you can splurge on some interesting bread choices, like ½ of a bagel.